No doubt, lack of adequate vitamin for a growing child should be dreaded, as it can give rise to various kinds of avoidable health conditions.
For young children and teens who are healthy and growing normally, health experts recommend that multivitamins are not needed. Food provides the best source of nutrients, and regular meals as well as nutritious snacks should provide adequate vitamins.
However, for children and young adults that are not getting adequate nutrition – for instance if they have erratic eating schedules, are vegetarian or avoid dairy products – a vitamin supplement may be needed. Chewable tablets and syrups are available for children who have difficulty swallowing pills.
Noteworthy though, is the fact that Vitamins can also have drug interactions, and so other medications taken by the child should be taken into consideration.
Excessive doses of vitamins can also be toxic. This especially applies to the “fat-soluble” vitamins A, D, E, and K. Even vitamin C, normally a safe water-soluble vitamin, cause headaches, diarrhoea, nausea and cramps when consumed in mega doses to offset the symptoms of cold.
KEEP ALL VITAMINS SAFELY OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
Iron is particularly toxic, even deadly to a toddler or infant. These pills look like shiny red or green candy discs and is very attractive to young ones who may accidentally consume them from a bottle left somewhere within their reach.
Always remember to keep all vitamins safely out of the reach of children.